cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iD Mobile or SMARTY...... Call quality using their 4G/VoLTE network??

Decembersangel
SMARTY Spark
SMARTY Spark

Hi all!
So a few months ago I moved over to iD Mobile.
I did this because I couldn't make/receive calls from SMARTY after they switched off their 3G network and didn't support my phone on their 4G/VoLTE network and iD Mobile did (according to both of their list of supported phones). 
Even when I moved over to iD I still couldn't make/receive calls and I actually determined it was down to the control of my phone's software rather than a network problem (after many, many hours of internet research).
Since being with iD Mobile, when I make/receive a phone call, they often drop out where I can't hear the other peson for a few seconds or they sound like they are underwater (even with a call that lasts less than 5 mins!)
Both SMARTY and iD Mobile 'coverage' checkers show 'Excellent' coverage!
So my question is........
I am looking to move back to SMARTY but as both use the THREE network should I expect the same level of service from both?? Or does one have priority/better connection over the other??
I never had any problem with the quality of calls when on SMARTY, but that was when I was using their 3G network.
So has anyone found a loss of quality in service from SMARTY when moved from 3G to 4G/VoLTE??
Any and all help/advice/experiences is appreciated! x x x

5 REPLIES 5

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@Decembersangel  While I don't know the answer for sure, I am guessing that no network will openly admit to offering priority to one sub-network over another, even if they do.

WelshPaul
SMARTY Motivator
SMARTY Motivator

There is no 'priority list' when it comes to THREE UK and any MVNO that uses the THREE UK network to provide a service. Many issues are simply down to network congestion as a result of oversubscribing. Any issues one has with iD Mobile, one will have with SMARTY and vice versa.

There is a network spreadsheet one can use to see what services are available with each network and any restrictions. Link below:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/126in1zdWmjTkPB1dU2OvWF7BzTpNWiJLPGWgZ3C0n-Q/edit?gid=0#gid=0

Rebekah_150
SMARTY Moderator SMARTY Moderator
SMARTY Moderator

Hey  Decembersangel

As we are also use Three mobiles masts the quality of coverage will be the same 

Decembersangel
SMARTY Spark
SMARTY Spark

Thanks @MSF  and @Rebekah_150 👍
So, all in all it won't matter (apart from £) if I am with SMARTY or iD Mobile to ensure I get a good quality phone call connection due to them both using the THREE masts?!? 🙄
@MSF How is your VoLTE connection? Have you had any problems? 🤔 I'm asking as I trust your opinion with using the SMARTY network and also because a few iD Community members have also raised the same problem I am having (so you may be correct in your reply).

@Decembersangel Generally, I have always had a pretty good connection with Smarty. Naturally, that may be down to the area I live in. I'm not a huge data user, so I never really bother checking speeds - pretty much all my downloads are over broadband. My phone is a newer iPhone and so compatible.

You have hit the main problem squarely on the head - it's one that many whingers people who don't get top coverage and speed for their very low price seem to not appreciate. The signal won't be great for everybody and so it is "speak as you find". People need to accept that sometimes their area doesn't have great signal quality and it may be better with another network (or maybe none!)