davidch_1653515
SMARTY Rookie
SMARTY Rookie

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

George
SMARTY Moderator SMARTY Moderator
SMARTY Moderator

Hey @davidch_1653515 

If you have voicemail set up but now want it deactivated, get in touch with us via web chat so that we can arrange for this to happen. Our team on web chat are available from 8am-8pm 7 days a week. 

Hope this helps!๐Ÿ˜

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24

George
SMARTY Moderator SMARTY Moderator
SMARTY Moderator

Hey @davidch_1653515 

If you have voicemail set up but now want it deactivated, get in touch with us via web chat so that we can arrange for this to happen. Our team on web chat are available from 8am-8pm 7 days a week. 

Hope this helps!๐Ÿ˜

So theirs no way 'i' can turn mine off if I dont want it on, that's weird...

I'm a new user, totally agree, set my voicemail up as couldn't find a way to disable it, thought that would have an option, but no, I didn't want to record a welcome message either, again no option, not happy, I want control over my voice mail not smarty

AB
SMARTY Commentator
SMARTY Commentator

Hi you cant switch off you need smarty to do it very inconvenient need chat 

In fact it's "wrong" !

So turning this option off, only turns it off in the UK and will remain active while roaming.. 
This is how phone voicemail gets hacked... Off should mean OFF

I use a PIN to protect my voicemail @Help_If_I_Can.
Are you saying that if I asked SMARTY is disable my voicemail, anyone who knows my mobile number can call +447782 333 123 and access my TURNED OFF voicemail?

Do you know if a SMARTY voicemail box is reset when TURNED OFF, i.e. all voice messages are deleted? 

Hi, ive only just activated my SIM this morning and like Three, you have to call / get in touch for the voicemail to be de-activated.
I have used the Chat app on my account and have now had the voice mail turned off.. originally i used the chat bot, but that said it would only deactivate the voicemail in the UK while remaining on when roaming.

This has now been updated to being off permanently everywhere... but had to chat to a live person..

The hack was back when reporters where accessing mail using the landline option to dial into your voicemail. If a pin hadn't been setup, the default in most cases was 0000

Not much of a hack, but simply because a pin hadn't been setup.
If you have a pin, it should be safe, but personally, if im not there to answer, send me a WhatsApp, email or text..

JJP2
SMARTY Pro-coach
SMARTY Pro-coach

Exactly @Chalkychap 

I have always used a PIN to protect my voicemail, always changing it from the default setting set by mobile networks. 

If, like me, you are of a age where you remember the adverts from the โ€˜Commercial Unionโ€™ insurance company, whose strap line was โ€œWe wonโ€™t make a drama out of a crisisโ€, you could be forgiven for thinking some people create drama ๐Ÿง๐Ÿ˜™

It won't accept pin number for setting up voicemail 

WelshPaul
SMARTY Motivator
SMARTY Motivator

Once SMARTY turn off your Voicemail their end, one can enable or disable it via their handset by using the call divert menu at will.

Shamus
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Just had to go through chat for myself & grandson to do this which is a joke (although it was quickly done (I hope) once I was eventually offered the option of actually speaking to a human being).

I believe it's the same for most if not all providers theses days (don't think you can turn off full stop on SKY, but could be wrong as may now have changed). Anyway the reason it's this way is quite plain & simple, it's to get money out of folk who are on PAYG or landline and who get charged just for a call being connected (even if you immediately hang up it's too late), and in the opinion of myself & anyone else not profiting from this should be made illegal.

If you want voicemail you should have the option of activating it yourself via your handset as in the good old days, but honestly, why lay out hard earned cash on mobile phones & tariffs if you're going to use voicemail, just set it up on a cheaper more reliable landline which allows remote access from any other phone (both landlines & a borrowed mobile if available & really needed).

As another post stated, if I don't answer it's because I can't or don't wish to, so send me a text & I'll get back to you when I can, if I wish to. Or try me on WhatsApp or some other online service that's often better reception quality than mobile reception (particularly Smarty). I'm informed by the coverage checker that I have a very good to excellent signal at home for Smarty, yet if I'm lucky enough to have a network connection my calls often cut out after approx 1 minute due to loss of signal.

I don't believe the issue is my Samsung Note 4 despite it's age but will be borrowing a much more recent handset to test for a few days to be certain, if it's the same then I'm afraid it's bye bye Smarty after only 2 months for both myself & grandson, sister already ditched them after 3 months due to same issue on brand new high end smartphone!!!

MSF
SMARTY Genius
SMARTY Genius

@Shamus Possible workaround?  Change your greeting message on voicemail to let people know that you don't check it and they should send you a text or WhatsApp if you don't answer.

I realise it's not perfect, but may be more convenient in the long term if it's hard to turn off voicemail.

Not a bad option but I went thru the chat box.  Requested some personal details as security.  Once confirmed my voicemail was deactivated.  Took all of 3, 4 minutes.

@Jacqueli_236591 Glad it worked for you!

Why can't send SMS to disabled voicemail off by SMS eg: To switch your Voicemail off, text UIT to 1233. (please note this isn't smarty as it example from lebara) should be the same way feature for smarty?

@PhilipS_1801472  That's a question that you would need to address to Smarty. Currently, Smarty give the following information: https://community.smarty.co.uk/t5/faq/want-to-deactivate-your-voicemail/ta-p/7915

Point is you shouldn't need to go through this palaver. There should be an option to change it for yourself on your dashboard. 

I don't want voicemail on my phone at all but have to wait till working hours to contact them, so it seems.  I was called today by a friend,  it rang once, then went to voicemail , which I've always had disabled on other networks,  and didn't know was "on" on my new smarty sim! I agree that changing the message is a good idea if you can't turn it off,  but you don't even have an option to do either. I HATE this money grabbing feature of mobile companies! 

@MJD_2172590  How is this 'money grabbing'? Surely, it costs nothing for the caller to leave the message and it costs you nothing to access it or to make a return call.

The topic is well covered in FAQ's: https://community.smarty.co.uk/t5/faq/want-to-deactivate-your-voicemail/ta-p/7915

Shamus
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

P.S. Sorry for the previous comment turning into an essay, but Smarty has left me ranting several times since I mistakenly believed their coverage checker & joined them๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ˜ 

ShazadA_1525100
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Want to turn off my voicemail

@ShazadA_1525100  Then best to follow the advice given in the Accepted Solution at the top of this thread.

wessexmario
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer