cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download speed useless

JohneMoon
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Coverage checks state "very good 4G" but download speed less than 1 Mb/s !! No change during 10 days of trying all known measures to improve. Dual band TP-Link MR500 AC1200 data SIM router shows all lights and 2 bars (of 3 max), LTE 4G+ Cat6 with combining dual band signals has potential of 300Mb/s. But so far Emails only; Ages to load anything! iPlayer impossible; YouTube buffers continuously. Spent over £100 on router and £20pm to Smarty for unlimited data!! Desperate to find solution as dependent on working Internet. No other Internet solutions at a Park Home. Please HELP!?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@JohneMoon That's unfortunate then. although the coverage checker says it should be very good there, this is a generalisation for the area and not specific for where you are. As others say, if you can get a good Vodafone coverage, this is probably the network for you - shame!

View solution in original post

BoseAde_2249591
SMARTY Rookie
SMARTY Rookie

im in the exact same situation though i believe it may be the service itself as my phone using ee's network gets better connection than using my sim card router with a smarty sim. I have checked my router settings and looked at the rssi, (signal strength from the cell tower) and rssq (signal quality from the cell tower) and I'm getting good values from it. I am likely going to switch to an unlimited EE sim only plan as it is not much more expensive than a smarty plan and I'm sure it will work much better than smarty does

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

JJP2
SMARTY Pro-coach
SMARTY Pro-coach

Where are you using the router ? Is there a metal structure near the router, acting as a Faraday cage, blocking signals ?

Are you in a caravan or motorhome ?

Smarty do not recommend mobile broadband as a permanent long term alternative to fixed line broadband, by the way. 

Depending on the type of property the router is in, the location, any obstacles potentially acting as a faraday cage and blocking signals, there may be no other option but to install fixed line broadband. 

JohneMoon
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Thank you.

It is a conventional bungalow - cavity block walls and pantile roof - no metal or signal blocking known and hanging out of window gives no recognisable advantage.

Vodafone mobile (Galaxy A14) phone works fine inside and OK as a mobile hotspot, but uses up limited data plan (33GB pm) too quickly for other than short usage; the reason for going for Smarty Unlimited data SIM with dedicated router.

MSF
SMARTY Genius
SMARTY Genius

@JohneMoon  We often seem to see this problem when people are in a park home/caravan.

when you place yourself (and your equipment) inside a metal box that is isolated from the ground (wheels/legs etc), this effectively shields from electromagnetic waves. It is called a Faraday Box.

Have you tried using the setup outside?  If that does work, then there may not be a solution inside the home, although I think someone was trying an antenna.

JohneMoon
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Thank you.

It is a conventional bungalow - cavity block walls and pantile roof - no metal. Hanging out of window gives no recognisable advantage.

My mobile phone (Galaxy A14) with Vodafone SIM works fine inside and OK when used as a mobile hotspot inside and out, but uses up my contracted limited data plan (33GB pm) too quickly for other than short usage; this is the reason for going for the Smarty Unlimited data SIM with dedicated hi-spec dual band router.

JJP2
SMARTY Pro-coach
SMARTY Pro-coach

If I were you, I would start a webchat with Smarty, to see if they can be of any assistance 

IF they can’t help, as you know that Vodafone works, it would be worthwhile checking out VOXI, which is an MVNO wholly owned by Vodafone, so of course it uses the Vodafone network. 

Just like Smarty, VOXI only offer 30 day contracts and, until 31st August, have offers on all their plans, including one offering 300 GB a month for £20 a month amongst others.

@JohneMoon That's unfortunate then. although the coverage checker says it should be very good there, this is a generalisation for the area and not specific for where you are. As others say, if you can get a good Vodafone coverage, this is probably the network for you - shame!

Chalkychap
SMARTY Trendsetter
SMARTY Trendsetter

This might not be relevant now @JohneMoon, but SMARTY terms & conditions do state their unlimited plans should not be used as a long-term alternative to fixed line broadband - currently covered in sections 5.15 and 5.16 of the terms. 

Vodafone's no frills VOXI MVNO may not have a similar prohibition.

So Smarty SIM should not be used in a router? That’s pretty much what this means..you should be more obvious about this in your marketing

“We” are Smarty Users, just like you !

As we don’t work for Smarty, we obviously have no control over their marketing ! 

It’s up to the individual user to do thorough research, rather than having a dig at other customers in the much mistaken belief that we work for Smarty ! 

If you do move on from Smarty, do some proper research next time and dont have a go at other customers who try to help !

BoseAde_2249591
SMARTY Rookie
SMARTY Rookie

im in the exact same situation though i believe it may be the service itself as my phone using ee's network gets better connection than using my sim card router with a smarty sim. I have checked my router settings and looked at the rssi, (signal strength from the cell tower) and rssq (signal quality from the cell tower) and I'm getting good values from it. I am likely going to switch to an unlimited EE sim only plan as it is not much more expensive than a smarty plan and I'm sure it will work much better than smarty does

EE has zilch signal here; Vodafone OK for my mobile; so wise to check out all providers. I shall probably go for Vodafone but its much more expensive and no guarantee that it will be of sufficient speed even with good signal strength, judging by the Smarty (3) experience; throwing good money after bad; it is most challenging!

The device seems to play a part, since my (newer) laptop works better than my (older) desk top PC; may have to upgrade to faster PC ?! But without any guarantee of an acceptable solution, spending more is an ongoing worry . . . . .

JohnWall_921896
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Surely this speed is the worst in the UK. £20 for unlimited data? Don't want to pay 20p.

Smarty are liars when they say the mast near me is being looked at by engineers. Liars

JohnWall_921896
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

I can say 100% I will NOT be topping up next month 

You pay your money and make your choice.

At least you can quickly move on to another network. 
What people who unfortunately receive poor speeds seem to do is fall into the trap of thinking that the “offending network” offers poor speeds throughout the UK, when that is absolutely not the case.

I get great speeds, thankfully :

IMG_1087.png

JohnMcF_2338835
SMARTY Enquirer
SMARTY Enquirer

Obviously highly dependent on location. I suffer exactly the same issue, with the coverage map saying "very good LTE", and yet the results contradicting this. I get no more than 800kbps downlink in any part of my flat, and have used tools like cellmapper and G-Net Track to  verify the signal strength in every part of the accommodation. So, my experiment with Smarty will come to an end and not renew my monthly account.