cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advantage of data only?

KevinIr_1115729
SMARTY Rookie
SMARTY Rookie

I’m an existing Smarty customer with my phone and looking at getting a second sim for using in a mifi device. Data only sims seem more expensive than a normal one with the same amount of data - any ideas why please?

5 REPLIES 5

MSF
SMARTY Superhero
SMARTY Superhero

Something I had not looked at before, but you make a very good point here! Hard to see any advantage - anyone else spot the benefits?

SSa_1871238
SMARTY Rookie
SMARTY Rookie

This is a guess, but data only SIMs do not throttle the speed whereas general phone SIMs do sometimes? 

I think with a data sim you don’t get a CNAT data connection. A data SIM should allow you to port forward etc.

Bt CNAT, do you mean the CG-NAT? I.e. that a data-only plan can get an externally-visible IP address? Am looking myself for home broadband, so would need the ability to forward ports. Would be good to know if there's an option available.

Thanks

Nuthatch
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

I've just asked SMARTY the same question.  Their answer "The call plans are cheaper as to meet the market rate"
I asked if the data connection would work as well/fast as the data only plan and they confirmed that it would.

For now, I can see no reason for their data only plan.

Now I'll find out in real life !