cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Open Discussion] Do you buy refurbished tech?

Nathan
Team SMARTY
Team SMARTY

I haven't bought a new laptop or phone in years. Mainly because when I upgrade, I buy a refurbished device. 

With bills spiralling for everyone, I can’t figure out why more people don’t do this. Based on my number I’ve saved £400 on my last two upgrades! 

I usually opt for the best conditions refurbished devices (Most retailers offer devices in varying conditions). Each time I’ve received a new device. My last one even came in the original retail box. 

I compiled a list of tech and potential savings buying refurbished below. Hope it’s helpful: 

Device 

New Price 

Best Refurb Price (Great Condition) 

Saving % 

iPhone 13 

£749 

£630 

£119 

MacBook Pro 2020  

£1,149 

£900 

£249 

Samsung S22 

£769 

£619 

£150 

iPad 2020 

£369 

£190 

£179 

Does anyone else know of some decent places to locate refurbished tech or do you always buy new? 

I’ve also attached a picture of the refurbished MacBook Pro 2020 I bought recently. It’s new and saved me £300 

62 REPLIES 62

I wish I had that level of self-restraint. If I get in my head that I would like something new a shiny I always end up giving in.

RonnieMa_777889
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Reduce, Reuse and Recycle should be the future way to go where possible in theory is good for the economy and the environment . Tech companies both in hardware and software do not make it easy to repair or upgrade as they have a business model that requires them to sell more product and in turn make more profit . The strategy will have to change as the current one is not sustainable long term

Marjory_1308291
SMARTY Enquirer
SMARTY Enquirer

I bought a refurb laptop a couple of years ago, it came with the same 1yr warranty as a new one.

Chalkychap
SMARTY Major Player
SMARTY Major Player

I sometimes buy refurb handsets.
It's always worth comparing refurb vs. new, allow with the length of warranty for the item in question.
Refurb be a way getting great value for money on occasions.

David_1636157
SMARTY Enquirer
SMARTY Enquirer

I've done pretty well with refurbs. 3 years ago I got a top of the range dell precision laptop on ebay, refurbished. It was like new, nearly three years on site dell warranty included, £1200 (recently had a motherboard swap carried out by Dell in our kitchen). The dell price would have been 2.5k. More recently bought an acer Chromebook. £700 in Curry's, £400 on ebay, refurbished with a year warranty and like new. My son bought an MSI Katana 12th edition i7 gaming laptop. Again ebay, 1 year MSI warranty and £300-400 less.

With laptops it is certainly possible to make massive savings and get an as new machine with full manufacturers warranty. 

I have bought mobiles from curry's ebay store with a years warranty. I only tend to go for top condition equipment from reliable sellers which has almost invariably turned out to be like new. 

Quin452
SMARTY Commentator
SMARTY Commentator

Refurb is a tricky one.  Sometimes it's good, sometimes it isn't good.
I've saved quite a bit on refurbished tech, but then again, I've bought things only to find that it doesn't work.

If it can be helped, I always try to get something with a warranty (because at least you can easily return it).

MarkyR74
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

I used Smarty's offer of £50 off a Reboxed.co phone. I got myself a iPhone 13 Pro that's pretty much like brand new, with 100% battery capacity, not a mark on it, and still under Apples warranty until December for £650! That's a saving of £350 over its new price, £450 if you look at the new 14 Pro. To say I'm happy is an understatement, first refurbished phone I've bought.

The battery in my old iPhone was going so needed a new one and fancied an upgrade. I'll keep this phone for a while now. But with Apple phones being VERY expensive these days I don't think I could stomach 1100 pounds for a new one. 

Swarming1095
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

I've never bought refurbished before but I just ordered an iPhone 13 Mini 256GB from reboxed in what they call 'premium' condition, so I'll happily come back here and update with what the condition/packaging/experience is like. Cost £539 and I've gone for the Klarna pay-in-three-installments option.

I'm currently on the iPhone 11 Pro, but it's been bugging me for a while. My battery has degraded to about 85% of its total capacity, there's quite a few scratches on my screen, the speakers don't work properly (they sound terrible), and I'd like the options of 5G and Magsafe accessories. I'm hoping this is a decent upgrade. I'm keen on upgrading next year to the iPhone 15 if it uses USB-C charging and offers a high refresh rate display on the base model, so this should tide me over til next year.

MarkyR74
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Well I used the Smarty app to link me to Renoxed.co, and I got £50 of a new iPhone thanks to them. Got an iPhone 13 Pro 128GB for £649, my first refurb phone, and it is in mint as new condition and even still under Apples warranty till December! 
Very happy with that.

LynneMi_1886687
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Apart from one occasion when I was gifted a brand new iPhone, I have always purchased second hand iPhones - most recently I’ve used Music Magpie for refurbished phones with no issue at all, saving hundreds of pounds over the years. I always get one that’s highly graded - and it comes wrapped and looking like a new phone. I definitely recommend it. Saves money and eco friendly too 😊

vista
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

I bought an S20+ 5G earlier this year, that was listed on amazon as renewed. However, it appears to be a brand new phone. It required several updates to android when setting it up, which suggests it was brand new.

DamienG_2195313
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Depending on whether I want the latest tech or older versions ie if I want last years or any previous years model ill always go refurbished but as with my s23ultra brand new has some benefits like warranty and cheaper device insurance  iy if you don't want any ov that refurb is the way forward, in my opinion anyways lol.

Hristin_1853347
SMARTY Enquirer
SMARTY Enquirer

Absolutely! I think that's a great bargain, as I myself have returned gadgets just because I didn't quite fancy them, so why not grab someone else's return for fraction of the price? 

JayneAl_1226139
SMARTY Enquirer
SMARTY Enquirer

Just bought a pre-loved Kindle fire and it has been fantastic and quite a good bargain.

Lorrain_1025468
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Refurbished tech is a must with children 

YulianK
SMARTY Community Manager SMARTY Community Manager
SMARTY Community Manager

Absolutely! This or heavy duty grade😄

Sap123
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Refurbished is a great way to buy i just got a samsumg s20 for christmas and all well just getting use to it  at the moment

SirAchie
SMARTY Enquirer
SMARTY Enquirer

Ive never bought a new phone, buy mine at CEX every time. Condition B as this only means it doesnt come with a box or charger & all items have a 2 year garantee. How cold you go wrong. Ive saved a fortune over the years.

IndiraC_2078370
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Refurbished tech is the best way to get a good deal! 

JennyVar_746504
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Over 5 years ago, I bought my refurbished  iPhone 8 at Carphone warehouse.
It is safe but my personal recomendación is ti get insurance cover to be safer in case it breaks. 

Liquadia49
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Be very mindful about refurb items when it comes to hard drive storage.  Although data has been removed it's not difficult to recover, and you just don't know who's been downloading what.

Stephen_3560
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Just before christmas I bought my wife and myself a samsung a54 phone each from back market, pristine condition. Price was half of what they should be. Now ive got smarty for currently a tenner a month, where before ee were charging me 15 for same package..

AndyPandy
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

I am currently using a Pixel 7 Pro. I want a Pixel Fold, but that seems expensive brand new. A couple of months down the line, I might buy a refurbished one. With all of my Pixel phones (I've had Pixel 1st gen, Pixel 3, Pixel 5, Pixel 6 and Pixel 7 Pro) I have bought those new. I am hoping the price drops for the Pixel Fold refurbished when the Fold 2 is released!