cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Group (of 2) plan. Can I close the group owner account but keep the group member account open?

Endemoniada
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Because I can't see a way of doing it.  I can't remove the group member account from the group, apparently, because it's a nickname SIM.  I can't close the group owner account because I'm not switching to another provider.  Am I missing something? 

Going forward, all I want is just want one standalone account with one of my existing numbers.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

MSF
SMARTY Genius
SMARTY Genius

@Endemoniada If you go to the group plan section of your dashboard, you should see the option to remove a member: https://smarty.co.uk/dashboard/groups/members

If that’s not the case, you will need a web chat with Support team to sort it.

Good luck!

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

MSF
SMARTY Genius
SMARTY Genius

@Endemoniada If you go to the group plan section of your dashboard, you should see the option to remove a member: https://smarty.co.uk/dashboard/groups/members

If that’s not the case, you will need a web chat with Support team to sort it.

Good luck!

HeatherM_979743
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

That's a joke, webchat told me it's not possible as 2 nd member in gplan does not have an active online account email, I asked could they set up email for me as dashboard won't allow me to do it.group owner can't remove member as its nickname account!  And I can't disband the group plan either. Frustrating to be told get new sims and start again, I don't want different number but told there is no other way. 

Did you ever get that sorted?  I've got the same problem.. faced with cancelling 3 SIMs and losing the phone numbers because of this stupid  group stuff.  'Support' are completely useless and just keep quoting google results at me.

@TonyHoyle_1020  You will need to check whether you set the members up as nickname sims or else invited in those who already had their own account; thi makes a difference to what can be done. Nicknames all appear as prt of the group owner account and so I think you need to totally close the group whereas individuals can leave a group.

It seems the only way is to PAC as much as possible to another providers and close the entire group (well 'close' = 'stop paying'.. smarty don't actually have a close option, not even support can do it).

They don't even support transferring to another smarty account, you must go to another provider.  Completely bizarre implementation.  I'm not using groups in the future, absolutely not worth it.

@TonyHoyle_1020  Fair enough if it isn't for you. I can only say that it works like a dream for some of us.

It'll work until the moment you want to cancel one of the SIMs, then it turns unto a nightmare.

@TonyHoyle_1020 I have them all as independent members and so they can leave the group and be independent.

watp
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Having a very similar problem myself at the moment. The lack of tools within the group settings is nothing short of rediculous. The group has me as the owner but the number assigned to it is my young son. WebChat is a waste of time! It's a very very poorly designed website!

All I needed to have done was swap the numbers around - but this was far too technical & beyond WebChat's training & capabilities.

3 days with Smarty with 3 new sims and I'm already considering not renewing with this company.

MSF
SMARTY Genius
SMARTY Genius

@watp  What you can and cannot do is fairly clearly explained in the help articles. Please see: https://help.smarty.co.uk/en/articles/3408171-how-do-i-remove-a-member-from-my-group-plan

watp
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Sound 💪

Yes it is. What may be needed is the article explaining why the implementation of nickname SIMs means almost nobody should ever use them

@IanJone_1765915 I disagree. It seems clear enough in the article and also here: https://help.smarty.co.uk/en/articles/5723752-what-is-a-nickname-sim

The article IS quite clear. I don’t really think it says “don’t do this if you expect to change anything ever”.

and that warning was not present when ordering a SIM. 

@IanJone_1765915  So is that the same as saying "don't buy this sports car because you may have a family at some later point and everything won't fit into it"? I do think there has to be a certain degree of caveat emptor.